Day 10. Mozart is probably rolling in his grave. I took the beginning of Lacrimosa, changed it to 4/4, and added drums and some other non orchestral instruments. This was my first time playing with the East/West Choir "Word Builder" which is a tool where you can type phonetically what you want the choir to sing and it puts it together. This rendition is by no means perfect, but I could get it a lot closer with more time, tuning the precise timings of moving from each consonant to vowel and back. The instrumentals I added are inspired by E.S. Posthumus. #100daysofmusic#100daysproject#the100dayproject
Day 9. I don't really know what I was going for here. I had this tune in my head on the bike ride home from downtown this evening. This one only took an hour or so to jot down, since I wasn't going for any particular sound. The animation kind of sums it up. #100daysofmusic#100daysproject#the100dayproject
Day 8. Today's song is an experiment in not using any percussion and trying to create the sense of rhythm other ways. A lot of this was inspired by one of @adamsinger's Creative Commons tracks. I wanted to see what it would take to create something with a similar feel. There's also a hint of Royksopp in here. #100daysofmusic#100daysproject#the100dayproject
Day 7. Today's rule was: no piano. This one is entirely weird synth sounds, and I played a lot with the EQ. The last thing I did was Add the 4 bar intro, which is kind of modeled after the intro to Ladytron's "Destroy Everything You Touch" #100daysofmusic#100daysproject#the100dayproject
Day 5. This morning I was trying to think of what I'd write today, and then I realized this tune had been going through my head for a while, so I jotted it down on the piano. I filled it out with a couple other instruments a bit later. For this track I was experimenting with mastering techniques more than instrumentation. Trying to make sure there was a good balance between the sound from the various instruments, playing with reverb and EQ to separate the instruments from each other. I still have a lot to learn in that department. This song ends abruptly because it can be played on a continuous loop. #100daysofmusic#100daysproject#the100dayproject
Day 4. This one only took and hour. Not really sure what I was going for here either. I'm not super happy with the little string trills, but I think with another hour or so I could tweak them to sound better. I actually started reading the manual for the East/West orchestra samples and there's a loooot of flexibility they give you with controlling the finger position, bowing direction, where the bow comes down on the strings, etc. I'll get a chance to play with those more later. But for now, happy to have today's song done before 9am! #100daysofmusic#100daysproject#the100dayproject
Day 2! This took way longer than I anticipated, and surprisingly not because of the video.
I started working on it at a coffee shop in NW with the instruments that come with Logic Pro. I got the initial structure of the song done, except for figuring out how it would end, and then decided to got home to finish it.
On the 35 minute bike ride home, I kept going over it in my head and figure out how to end it, and also decided to throw in the little synth arpeggios for the second half. Back at home, I switched most of the instruments over to the East/West instruments which sound way better and are much more expressive.
I didn't really know what to expect going into this today, but I'm pretty happy with it!