If I could design Blackmagic's next product, here is what I would make.
An analog to digital converter with the following inputs/outputs and features:
- 2 (left and right channel) analog XLR inputs
- 2 (left and right channel) analog 1/4" inputs
- 1 AES/EBU output with a BNC connector
- (I suppose it should probably also have a digital input that can be used for word clock syncing)
If only one of the XLR or 1/4" inputs are connected, copy that channel to both channels of the digital output. Ideally this would cost less than $500 retail.
This would allow analog signals to easily be sent to the ATEM switcher.
I don't know why I can't find this if it already exists. The closest I've found are the following:
- RME ADI-2 - has optical and RCA output instead of BNC
- Midiman Flying Cow - discontinued product, has XLR output instead of BNC so requires a transformer
- Miranda ASD771P75 Analog to Digital Converter - pretty close! only has XLR input (I can live with that) but costs over $700!
Am I missing something or does this product really not exist?