Today I started what is hopefully a series of updates to IndieNews. It's been a while since I've worked on it, probably because it's been mostly working fine which I guess is good.
The main thing I did today was replace its own Microformats parsing with delegating that to XRay. This should provide better results when parsing pages, since I've been concentrating my work in consuming Microformats posts in that project.
The visual update today is a change to how submitted stories are displayed. Previously, each story always showed the headline as a hyperlink to the post. For short titles, this worked fine. But sometimes someone would submit a plaintext note, or an article with a very long title. This looked pretty bad. Now, IndieNews will switch to rendering the post as a text note in a few cases. This means URLs in the note also get hyperlinked individually, which is a good improvement.
Newlines in the text are also preserved now.
As before, if a post with a title is submitted, then no content is displayed on the site. IndieNews is not meant to be a reader, it's just meant to link out to other content.
Another thing that went live during this release is the Dutch translation, thanks to @sebsel!
So feel free to submit all your Dutch stories here! https://news.indieweb.org/nl
Oh and one more thing. You should now be able to submit stories with emoji in the name! 😎